Monday, June 20, 2005

Grants - and so it continues..........

I hope someone can help.  I am a female minority and people keep telling me that I should be able to get a grant for my newly opened business.  I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find any info.  I don't want to pay for one of those "free money" books if there is no info I can use in it.  One agency I spoke to told me that I need equity to get a grant, and I don't own a home or anything.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

As I do this kind of work I have this problem about people that don't want to pay for the information.  One of the biggest arguments about grants and the information regarding them (especially the government related grants) is that this information is freely accessible to the public!  Which means that it is out there for anyone to find.  There are no hidden passwords or secret handshakes or having to know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody.Did you know that there is an annual grant award of where 5 recipients each get awarded $20,000 for the best business plan for a business?  One recipient used her $20,000 to start her film company and another used theirs to start a catering/restaurant business.  What is the requirement to apply for the grant?  Well you have to have a business plan and you have to be a minority!  That's it!  No equity, no credit history - just the requirements I listed above.  Who supplies the grant?  It is a big corporation that wants to "give back to the community".  How do I know this?  Because I went and found that information whilst sitting in front of the computer.  And for my clients that request it (I make sure that they qualify for it first) I include the information along with any other related grant resources.What else is there?  Do you know that there is a yearly grant of $100,000 that is "
aimed at fostering a spirit of enterprise around the world".  These grant awards are designed to recognize pioneering concepts and innovative thought by giving individuals the means to achieve an important undertaking. The grants are for enterprise support outstanding initiatives in the following key areas of human endeavor science and medicine; technology and innovation; exploration and discovery; the environment; and cultural heritage. Projects may be submitted in almost any area of activity though, provided that they expand knowledge of our world, improve the quality of life on the planet, or contribute to the betterment of humankind. Anyone of any age or from any country can apply for the award. The five applicants whose projects are deemed the most outstanding will each receive $100,000.

The problem is not that there aren't any grants out there the problem is finding the information and like with anything else you just have to keep looking until you find it!

No comments: