Thursday, June 09, 2005

College Scholarships for those students in need

What kind of financial assistance is available to youth in foster care?A: It is possible for you to get a college degree without ever paying a dime-especially if you live in a state such as Texas, Maine, Kansas, West Virginia or Oklahoma that provides foster care tuition waivers, which allow you to attend any public college or university in that state for free.To get the best financial aid package, you need to start the application process early, earn good grades and be aggressive about digging up scholarships. Every student who has aged out of foster care or who has been adopted out of foster care after age 16 is eligible.   The scholarship amounts are up to $5,000 a year and can be used not only to pay for tuition, but for anything you need to stay in school (daycare, rent, books, and more.)

There is another Foundation program that also gives out grants of $1,500 to $10,000 a year to students under 25 who were in foster care for at least one year before their 18th birthday or high school graduation

Many private scholarships go unused because no one even bothers to apply.

No comments: