Thursday, June 21, 2007

Do you want to be a writer that gets paid?

Well first of all I think that one of the best ways to start making money is with Google's Adsense program. Create a blog or website and add the Adsense ads and you can start making money as soon as visitors to your site clicks on the ads.

And this advice also goes to all of you who are aspiring writers. Why not put up a blog and put your writing on it? I have seen many writer and writing-related blogs online so its not like you would be the first one.

Back in the day a writer was either "discovered" by a publishing company or a writer submitted their work somewhere and got published and got well known. I'm not saying that such a thing couldn't happen today but at least you have more options today than you had back them.

One thing I would advise every aspiring writer to do is to get a copy of The Writer's Market Handbook. I believe that this book is an absolutely "must have"! Consider it an investment! If you don't have enough money to buy a copy of the book then you should check and see if your local library has a copy. This book lists the different publishers and what kinds of submissions that they are looking for in almost every writing genre that you could imagine! It also provides some very good tips and advice concerning copyrights and how you should submit your submissions as far as how you work should look.

I should also mention that since I do a lot of grant research I know that there are many grant programs out there that are writing and writer-related. Did you know that the woman who wrote the Harry Potter books (and who now has more money than the Queen of England) received a grant early in her writing career?

If that doesn't motivate or inspire you I don't know what will!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose.
This is a useful article. I've used the Writer's Market and other books which I've chosen specific to writing projects. Experience as a newspaper columnist, academic researcher, freelance motivational and fiction writer, I offer a few tips for your readers:

1) Identify your media of interest. Paper or electronic? If you desire to write or syndicate newspaper columns, its useful to contact www.writersweekly.com for a book they sell on the subject. Also check the web. I learned about the syndication process and hired a consultant for guidance.

2) Narrow your focus. Consider things like genre, age group, style, research discipline, copywriting or, any other area of writing. As you learn to market yourself and develop desirable skills, you'll also choose books and human mentors would help you in your niche.

3) Explore your interests. Talk to people. Specific kinds of writing may not stand out right away. I did some writing courses to help identify areas I liked best. Change is okay. Uncover your passion your way. It'll happen!