Sunday, May 15, 2005

About Me?

Almost like anything else it all begins with desire.  Desire motivated and still motivates a lot of people.  Let's see what was the last thing I was reading about - okay - one of my most recent entries in my blog was about a group of women artists who felt that there was too much racism and sexism in the art world so they decided to form a group.  Since this information is still new to me I still can't tell whether or not they are a non-profit agency but they got a government grant to start their newsletter.

Since I started doing this I have been overloaded with information about grants and one of the things that I have come to find out is that not only are there grants provided by the government but there are more grants provided by foundations and organizations.  The one that comes to mind is the one offered by the Miller (Beer) Company for minority owned businesses.  The grant is for $20,000 and one of the recipients was an African American woman who used her grant to start her film company!  Now on a personal note I just struggled with making a 5 second film short just for fun.  If you would like to see it here is the url

http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/lamott.dir/lamott.htm

But the point being that it all starts with desire.  I have been pleasantly surprised by all the websites that I have seen from others who have started their own business online.  That even brings to mind the story I read about the woman who started her own gift basket business and she didn't even have a computer.  She received a smaller grant to help keep her business going.  I know of a friend of a friend who likes to make dolls by hand and even without a computer I hope that she pursues this professionally.  She was working with another person - doing the sewing for his upholstery business and he had to let her go because his wife thought that he was paying her too much money!  What a shame!  Suffice it to say that HE is no longer in business but she is now working for a company where her day to day job security is not secure.  In her own words she's afraid that she will show up at work one day to find the doors locked shut.

From my own personal experience the last job I had I hated.  I was a cashier and I hated standing on my feet all day.  I hated working 6 days a week with one day off (and they even used to call me to work on my one day off!).  I hated it with a passion (hint-desire) but the one thing that I loved was toiling away on my computer and I wanted to continue to do so - working the hours and the days when I wanted so that is what I decided to do.  And when it came to me that since I was working at home that I could show others how they could work at home a career was born!

That's why I'm glad I found this board because it just shows that there are others out there who are working from their home - because they had the desire to, they wanted it so badly and that there's no secret club or society of secrets involved - just work and desire.


No comments: