Thursday, October 12, 2006

Internet Radio?

I was a DJ for a lot of years. I stopped when the last station that I worked for fired 95% of its airstaff and replaced us with a feed from California. I do miss it though. I did have an Internet radio station at one time and am considering renewing it. But I have browsed the message forums and saw one post from someone that wanted to work for an Internet radio station. What I suggested was that he start a website. With a website you can post your voice so that others can hear it. Include some contact information like an email address so that they can contact you in case they are interested in using your voice.

There are a lot of things that you can do to "advertise" yourself. I have a basic PC and one of the programs that comes with it is a simple sound recorder that I have used numerous times to record my voice and put it on my website. You can get really creative and add sound effects and even add sound effects to your own voice. You can hire yourself out as voice talent. I have come to find out that there are a lot of people that have Internet radio stations but they don't like the sound of their own voice - so they can use yours instead.

How would you make money with this? Well you can hire yourself out as voice talent. You can set up a webpage listing all the general information like what you charge and what you charge for. I even read about a woman that started her own business doing answering machine voices/sound effects for others.

This may sound like a complicated thing to do but for those that have an interest in this type of thing it is another example of how you can start a business from your home doing something that you love!

No comments: