Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Don't Use Automated Check-Out Machines at Supermarkets?



Even though this is a working from home blog, I came upon a very interesting blog post online.

The blog post was about automated checkout machines at supermarkets and how they take away from using the cashiers at the supermarket.

I honestly have to say that I am quite torn about this because I can really see both sides of this. Number one I used to be a supermarket cashier myself before I started working at home for myself. And honestly I have to say that I really hated this job. I had to stand on my feet all day, got ruly and rude customers and I hated working 6 days a week with only one day off.

On the plus side, however, it was a steady and regular paycheck!

Now when I shop at the supermarket I used the automatic/self-serve registers because I like bagging my own groceries. But I know that my opinion is only one and I am curious to hear what others have to say about this.

Do the self-serve automatic registers take away from the cashiers that work at the supermarket? What is your opinion of this?

Don't Use Automated CheckOut Machines At The Supermarkets

7 comments:

Gilbert Canda said...

Thank you for your ideas about how to work from home. I see your GA, and i like it. you might improve your GA earnings by putting some GA below post title.

Thanks for this information.

Louida said...

I think it does take away from cashiers because it is their job to ring you up but self check out is more easier for shoppers to get in and out of the store.

Bad thing is about self check out is that stores may not hire as many cashiers anymore which cause people to be let go. Technology today is very advance and companies are going to go for ways to save money and that is hiring less people. Great article!

Rose said...

Actually I don't like the look of adding the ads to the blog post itself. To me it makes the blog look clunky and full of ads.

I prefer them on the side of the blog so that it doesn't take away from the content.

Rose said...

Louida - it's sort of a "catch 22" kind of thing for me. Like I said before I like being able to bag my own groceries at checkout but it does take away from actually using a cashier.

I just can't say 100% that it is either bad or good

DeDee said...

We don't have automated cash outs here.

Ray said...

It is kind of a bummer that technology is doing more jobs that a person used to do. I don't think there is probably anything we can do about that though.

I have see automatic checkouts at a few stores, but honestly never used one myself. They are a little intimidating and I am afraid I might mess something up. I see people using them all the time though, even people much older than me.

Carla Easley said...

I actually enjoy using the automated check out. It's really convenient especially if you have 5 items or less. The lines can get really long in supermarkets so the automated check out is great for those with a little bit of items.